Our Young Religious Unitarian Universalists (YRUU) program provides a nurturing spiritual home for teens (usually grades 9-12). Our open, sharing environment encourages new friendships that can last a lifetime. YRUU meets each Sunday during the 10:30 service. Join us soon any Sunday morning!
I appreciate the support everyone provides...until YRUU, I never really knew everyone! --Livy
I like this group because I am accepted at all times and everybody is very friendly. --Douglas
I keep coming back to YRUU to renew the connections I've made while growing up in this church. I also enjoy seeing the younger children grow and change. --Jeremy
What we do
- Coming of Age (COA) ceremony: This ritual marks the entrance to YRUU and celebrates the change in the relationship between oneself and the congregation. In this step on the path to becoming a UU adult, teens accept the challenge of finding their own beliefs.
- Bridging ceremony: This final step on the path to adult membership allows youth to affirm their UU faith. It represents the final spiritual transformation from child to adult.
- Our Whole Lives (OWL): The OWL curriculum gives spiritual context to relationships and sexuality. It helps teens accept themselves for who they are and appreciate the beauty of sexuality.
- Worship: We plan and lead at least 1 service per year and help with 3-4 more. We also run our own nighttime
worship at UUCM's annual retreat.
- Community service: We've helped at a local shelter and made toiletry kits for homeless citizens, raised funds for Hurricane Sandy and Japan tsunami victims, and worked to beautify UUCM's grounds.
- Talks: We speak with experts about topics including civil rights, immigration, domestic worker rights, and local summer job opportunities.
- CONs: Three or four times a year, we attend these retreats with other youth in our district. These youth-led weekends are meant to empower us, help us connect with the larger UU youth community, and learn about ourselves.
YRUU teens are also welcome to attend classes, discussions, and other UUCM adult education opportunities.
YRUU members are active in our church's district. Find out what's new and learn about upcoming events at pcdyruu.org.
Questions about YRUU? Email our Youth Advisor at email@example.com.